substitute


I quit my 8 hour a week job a few weeks ago, then unquit when they offered me only daytime hours. One bad thing: now I only work 2-3 hours a week which makes my lifestyle unsustainable. Sigh.

Even though I have a visceral aversion to substitute teaching in most places, I considered it again. I looked into applying in two small districts near St. Peter. After three phone calls and directions to the right website, I discovered I had to upload a resume, submit to a background check and an interview, and then they might hire me. Sigh. I think I will have to become an ascetic (a person who practices severe self-discipline and abstention..I had to look it up.) because I am not sure I can go through this soul-sucking process again.

A friend of mine stopped to visit with me at the fair. She has a small business proposition in the works and wants me to be a part of it. She couldn't tell me much at this point but I am going to cross my fingers and hope that works out. I can't believe there isn't a low-responsibility, high-paying job out there for me.


We started our weekend spending a couple hours on the patio at Lone Star eating delicious food and listening to Ron and Billy...always a treat. It was hot but tolerable, the gin and tonic was thirst quenching, the tenderloin was amazing...and the company was fine! Thanks Bob and Richie for joining us.


Regis got up at 2 am to start smoking this pork butt. He was nervous because it was a new recipe on a new grill and I had invited people to help us eat it. I said the worst that could happen is we order pizza. Right? It was delicious. This picture was taken right before it came off the grill. It has such a beautiful bark and it was so tender you could cut it with a fork. Success!



I volunteered to do four shifts at the Nicollet County Historical Society booth at the county fair. Ella came with me each time and she my right-hand man! She took care of the people counter, she made a sign and gave away candy, and she learned her way around the fairgrounds! She was a trooper! Tiffany and Elliot joined us on Sunday. While Ella went to watch the 4H rendition of Annie, Elliot manned the people counter. They had such a good time!



Elliot rode the Ferris wheel by himself on the last day of the fair. Brave boy! Glad he didn't ask his Nana to ride along!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff