beaucoop cooking

I didn't finish cooking until almost 9 o'clock last night. The cheesecake took a lot longer than I remembered, then it had to cool before I could put it on the porch. A nice thing about this chilly, late autumn weather: the back porch can function as additional refrigerator space.

A few of the things I have cooked in the past three days:
  • Apple cake
  • New York style cheesecake
  • Pumpkin pie
  • Cranberry sauce
  • Cranberry chutney with jalapenos
  • Fresh cranberry and apple salad
  • Chris Schull's kale salad
  • Zuppa Tuscano
  • Cornbread muffins
  • Swedish meatballs
  • Two turkey breasts
  • A partridge in a pear tree
That's not only a lot of cooking and a lot of food, but that is a LOT of dishes.

When I finally went to bed, I read for a while, an Ian Rankin mystery. Usually his books are not so graphic but this one has some creepy chapters. About an hour after I went to sleep, I woke up in a screaming panic...bad guys were chasing me and I couldn't get a sound to come out of my mouth. When I did, Gus was standing over me and Regis was shaking me awake. I guess I'll skip those chapters.

Ella is coming over today at 9 to help with final preparations and setting up of the tables. She is a pretty independent cook now and she has opinions about where things should go on the tables. It's nice to turn it over to her. We're running this operation somewhat like a buffet. Come when you want, eat when you want, wash your own dishes. I'm serious about that last part.

We have a small house so one of the unfortunate side effects of holiday organizing is that a lot of stuff finds a home in a place where it doesn't ordinarily live. Things get shoved in closets, under the bed, in the garage. For weeks after, we are wondering where in the hell those things went. This could be how the birth certificates and the car title went missing.

I have decided to believe that Alec Baldwin really is the president. Crazy and funny but harmless. During hard times in the past, this has worked for me: Jed Bartlett was the president during the Bush years. Check out that Buzzfeed link if you want to know why. Other than that, I am still stuck in the same place...can't talk about it, can't be nice about it, can't move on. I'm still boycotting the news and Facebook so it's easy to maintain this laissez–faire attitude.

When I finish this blog post and my cup of coffee, it's time to get up and start the day. One more cup...it isn't even seven o'clock. I had a piece of lefse with my coffee for breakfast. I figure if I spend three days cooking this stuff, I can eat what I want to eat. Lefse and Hope butter for breakfast...heaven.

I couldn't think of anything more to write but I wasn't ready to get up yet, so I put grateful in the little search bar thing at the top of this page. Sigh. What a lovely thing to read on Thanksgiving morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff