sunday can be such a nice surprise

All day yesterday, I thought it was Sunday so to wake up today and realize I still had one more day to the weekend was a nice surprise. We had the window open all night,too, which was another pleasant surprise. It's been a hot summer so those nights have been rare.

I have a lot of things on my list today.

  • Mow the lawn
  • Finish my grocery list and menu for the week
  • Pay bills
  • Clean out the refrigerator
  • Laundry
  • Finish Gus letter
  • Send two birthday cards
  • Tidy up the house for the week
So far, I'm sitting with a cup of coffee, contemplating the list.

I met Tiffany and Eric in Mankato yesterday about 11. They were taking Evelyn in to do the Wow Zone thing and they thought a three-year old might be a bit of a hindrance, so Peter and I scooped him up and went to do some other things. We stopped at Pet Expo to look at the pets (hairless rats?) and to buy Gus some chew toys. We went to Grizzlies for lunch and to Hobby Lobby to get a few things. We stopped at Target to buy a small toy and some socks for me. That was it.

We went back to the Wow Zone and went in to meet them. That is definitely not a place I would spend any time. Way too stimulating. Too many televisions. Bowling. Laser tag. Arcade games. Mini golf. Sports bar. Check, check, and check.

When I was a teenager, we used to go to a cafe in town after confirmation on Saturday morning. The cafe had one pinball machine and we took turns dropping in a quarter to play. It had metal paddles and metal balls and it made a soft ping ping ping noise as the ball went around. Ah, memories. I always tell my kids that Pong was the first video game I ever played. Probably the only one.

Regis and I were in Best Buy (a store I loathe) one time and to pass the time, I sat down to play a demo video game. I was pushing buttons like crazy and watching the screen when a young fellow came over and actually said this to me: Ma'am, you have to turn it on before you play. Chagrin.

Regis is giving me reports on the Olympic women's marathon from his iPad. The leaders have been doing a little over five minutes a mile for 20 miles. Holy crap. I couldn't do a five minute mile for a mile.

He is ranting about the streaming coverage of the marathon. This is the future, he says. Not exactly Radiohead, but the future. 

My stuff's not getting done with me sitting here, now is it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff